Lunedi, 27 Febbraio 2017, 10:08
I hope you all did well in your exams.
Our lessons start on Friday. Attached is the calender for the second term. Please note that on Fridays we will be meeting in aula E. On Mondays we are back in 447. Aula E is not very good for language teaching and so we'll probably use Fridays to do exam practice.
During the first week or so we will be revising your current text book. After that we will be using the following: Cambridge English Advanced Trainer, revised version for the 2015 exam. Authors Felicity O'Dell, Michael Black. If you do work at home from this book please do NOT do the first four exams.
On Monday please bring with you your grammar book and also the test that you completed at the end of last term. Thank you. Look forward to seeing you on Friday.
File Allegato, CALENDAR_FOR_SECOND_TERM.docx
Sabato, 21 Gennaio 2017, 19:24
Just a reminder that the last lessons of term will be held on Monday 23 January. There will be no lesson on Friday.
ALLIGATOR RIVER AND DATES TO REMEMBER
Martedi, 10 Gennaio 2017, 20:31
Firstly my rating of the characters in the Alligator River Story. My rating is based on their compassion for others.
1. The worst: Gregory. A spineless character with no courage or feelings for others. He knows the situation: he is aware that the bridge is down and the river is full of alligators, yet he makes no effort to join Abigail. And then when she tells him his story he chucks her out. What a horrible human being.
2. Ivan. Second worst and equal, in my opinion to Gregory. He has no compassion for his 'friend' Abigail. Doesn't want to get his hands dirty. What sort of a friend is THAT?
3. Sinbad. Not a very nice person. He uses power to get what he wants. Very cynical and shows no compassion.
4. Abigail. A very silly girl, though she does show some courage in trying everything to get across to her beloved. She shows a nasty side to her character when she laughs at Gregory's demise.
5. Slug. The only one worth saving in my opinion. Yes, he's a very flawed human being with tendencies to violence. But he's the only character that shows sincere compassion and the only one I would trust as a friend.
DATES TO REMEMBER
Next Monday morning (16 Jan) we will be doing the second Writing in Class. This will be a review. The lesson will begin as normal around 9 but we will start the writing at 10.10.
The following Monday we'll do a mini CAE. More details to come.
The first term will end on Friday 27 January.
Those who couldn't attend class on Monday should ensure they do page 143.
Martedi, 10 Gennaio 2017, 17:05
Here's an article on technology to read this week.
HAPPY NEW YEAR
Lunedi, 02 Gennaio 2017, 17:26
Hope you all enjoyed a fun Hogmanay and that 2017 will be a great year.
Enjoy the last week of the holidays.
Don't forget to do the exercises on page 141 of your book.
You might also like to take note of this link for words relating to films.
Look forward to seeing you next Monday.
HOMEWORK FOR MONDAY 19 DECEMBER
Giovedi, 15 Dicembre 2016, 14:11
Please do the Review on page 139 of your course book for Monday,
Mercoledi, 07 Dicembre 2016, 15:43
Here is your homework for Monday.
Film vocabulary (attached files) for Monday 12 December.
GRAMMAR exercises 1, 2 and 3 (attached files for those who were not at Tuesday's lesson).
Page 138 Essay question. Please also provide a plan based on questions 1-4.
Mercoledi, 07 Dicembre 2016, 14:41
Just a reminder that there is NO lesson on Friday 9 December.The University is closed. The next three lessons will be held on Monday 12, Friday 16 and Monday 19 as scheduled.
Lunedi, 05 Dicembre 2016, 12:21
Confirming that we will have two lessons tomorrow, from 9 to 1pm. From 11am-1pm we'll be in the lab. I'm not sure where we'll be from 9 but we can meet outside the lab.
See you tomorrow.
MAKE-UP LESSON PROPOSAL
Lunedi, 28 Novembre 2016, 11:19
This is not a proposal for a lesson on how to apply makeup! English can be confusing at times.
I propose that we make up the lessons of 28 November on Tuesday morning 6 December from 9am to 1pm.
If you are a regular attender and this time is impossible for you because you have another lesson, please let me know by email.
Thank you and have a good week.
HOMEWORK FOR 2 DECEMBER
Domenica, 27 Novembre 2016, 23:24
Please do the attached pages for homework. In the first exercise you should insert one of the words in the correct space (the words are below the exercise) while in the second you should substitute each phrase with a more formal one.
Also, please do this reading exercise.
If your surname begins with a letter between A and L please read A Lamb to the Slaughter. http://www.classicshorts.com/stories/lamb.html
If your surname begins with a letter between M and Z please read Man from the South.http://www.classicshorts.com/stories/south.html
See you on Friday.
File Allegato, formal_language_exercise.docx
Mercoledi, 23 Novembre 2016, 21:54
There will be no ricevimento this Friday, 25th November.
The lessons of Monday 28th November have been cancelled. Both lessons will be made up at a later date.
Martedi, 22 Novembre 2016, 18:45
On top of your usual daily reading :-) please choose an article from the Guardian or BBC website to read for Friday. Thank you.
Venerdi, 18 Novembre 2016, 17:34
The Department is looking for a third-year student who would be willing to review the degree course for the (I think) Comitato della didattica. It's not a very arduous task but I'm afraid I don't have much information at the moment. If anyone is interested could you please let me know soonest?
We also need some students for the conversation exchange next Thursday with American students. If you are interested please write to me by Monday.
Thanks and have a nice (rainy) weekend
EXCHANGE WITH AMERICAN STUDENTS ON THURSDAY
Martedi, 15 Novembre 2016, 17:10
Thank you to those who have volunteered for this week's conversation exchange and well done for taking this opportunity to improve your speaking and listening skills. Please make sure you are at the lab at 12 o'clock on Thursday to meet Silvia and the students. You are free then to decide where you want to go.
URGENT INFORMATION FOR TOMORROW
Mercoledi, 09 Novembre 2016, 12:51
Five American students will be in the faculty tomorrow and I am looking for a few volunteer C1 students to come to speak to them. They just want to know something abut university in Italy. You can have lunch with them if you want.
If anyone can do it could you please write to me at email@example.com
Domenica, 06 Novembre 2016, 12:19
Here's an exercise you might find useful.
Sabato, 29 Ottobre 2016, 21:24
This is just to remind you there will be no lesson this Monday 31 October, or on Friday 4 November.
WHAT WE DID LAST WEEK
Sabato, 29 Ottobre 2016, 21:22
This week we:
- compiled some tricky job interview questions and discussed how NOT to answer them
- watched a short televised drama called An Inspector Calls
- did some work from Unit 12, including the multiple matching reading exercise on page 122.
On the subject of jobs, here is an encouraging video for those of you who are 'scrappers'.
For homework please do: p.122 exercise 4 and 5, p. 124 exercises 1,2,3, and 5. Those of you who were not present on Friday should also do the reading exam question of course.
Here are the answers to the Review on page 119
1. DOESN'T MATTER WHAT
2. MAKES NO DIFFERENCE HOW
3. HAVING HEARD IT WAS GOING
4. HOW MUCH YOU LIKE THEM
5. REGARDLESS OF WHAT
6. WHEREVER I HAPPEN
7. DON'T MIND WHAT WE
8. YOU WOULD LIKE TO COME AROUND
3. ON FIRE
6. DO WITH
Attached is the essay question for those who were not here when we did it.
File Allegato, essay.docx
AN INSPECTOR CALLS
Mercoledi, 26 Ottobre 2016, 17:28
Have a think about the importance of these quotes and extracts from the play we saw together. If you're enterprising you'll find them with an explanation on the internet!
1. Birling: A friend of mine went over this new liner last week - the Titanic - she sails next week - forty-six thousand eight hundred tons - forty-six thousand eight hundred tons - New York in five days - and every luxury - and unsinkable, absolutely unsinkable.
2. GERALD [laughs]: You seem to be a nice well-behaved family -BIRLING: We think we are -
3. BIRLING: But take my word for it, you youngsters - and I've learnt in the good hard school of experience - that a man has to mind his own business and look after himself and his own - and - (We hear the sharp ring of a front door bell).
4. INSPECTOR: ... what happened to her then may have determined what happened to her afterwards, and what happened to her afterwards may have driven her to suicide. A chain of events.
HOMEWORK THIS WEEK
Domenica, 23 Ottobre 2016, 21:27
I believe I forgot to give you this homework for tomorrow :-((so could you please do it for Friday 28 Please? The Review at the end of the Unit.
Domenica, 16 Ottobre 2016, 16:12
The attached homework is for Friday.
See you tomorrow.
File Allegato, C1_HOMEWORK.pdf
Martedi, 11 Ottobre 2016, 19:37
Before Friday please watch https://www.ted.com/talks/amy_webb_how_i_hacked_online_dating?language=en#
Please also try to answer these questions:
1. Look out for phrasal verbs 'sign onto' and 'fill out'.
2. Why, according to Amy, do algorithims not always work when looking for a partner?
3. What features did Amy discover were common to successful profiles?
A WORD ABOUT WRITING
Giovedi, 06 Ottobre 2016, 16:40
Here is some information about the C1 writing exam. Naturally this only applies to the Idoneità and not to the external CAE exam (which we are all going to attempt, right? :-)
Students who complete and pass FOUR in-class writing assignments during the year (two in each semester) do NOT need to sit the writing exam in June. In order to qualify for this you must have 70% attendance during the year. If you do not attend class you cannot benefit from this exemption. I will advise you when these in-class writing assignments are scheduled. There will be one in each quarter.
This exemption will not be granted to tudents who are going to sit the Idoneità in Jan/Feb. It is only for people who are aiming to sit the exam in June. Jan/Feb candidates will have to do a Writing exam.
Hope this is all clear.
Martedi, 04 Ottobre 2016, 12:37
Welcome to our course.
First, a small change to our schedule. We have been asked to invert our lab/classroom lessons on a Monday. So from next Monday our classroom lesson will be at 9, and our lab lesson at 11 as follows:
Monday, 9-11 (Room 447) and 11am-1pm (lab)
Friday, 9-11 (Room 447)
Our books for the first semester will be CAE Gold (second half) and My Grammar Lab.
Attached you will find the lesson schedule.
I can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org
Office hours: 1-2pm Friday in the self-access lab.
File Allegato, TIMETABLE_FIRST_TERM_2016_17.pdf
HOMEWORK THIS WEEK
Lunedi, 03 Ottobre 2016, 21:34
It was nice to meet you today for our first lessons. Attached you will find short articles on 'School Days' which you should read. Please answer the questions for the articles you did not read in class. This is for Friday.
Also for Friday, if you can, do the Word Formation and Transformation exercises from our exam practice.
For Monday please write a couple of paragraphs about your own school days. Feel free to use the Guardian articles as a source for vocabulary and expressions. You should do this with a view to 'adopting' the expressions and learning them, not just to be lazy! You don't need to follow any 'CAE' format. I'm only interested in seeing how you write.
Today we talked about some strategies for improving your language level. Here is a summary:
1. Read, read read. Do this for interest - don't choose long boring articles, but something you are interested in. The BBC and the Guardian are good sites for this. Reading will help you increase your passive vocabulary, improve your knowledge of other cultures and speed up the reading process.
2. Practise exam exercises.
3.Look at objects, people and places around you and describe them in your head. Conduct dialogues in your head.
4. Be constant - 20 minutes a day will really improve your language ability. You can use this to read an article, listen to a programme, study the grammar. Try to learn a new word every day.
5. Enjoy English! It is a passport to a whole new life! Remember: ❝To have another language is to possess a second soul.❞
See you on Friday!
File Allegato, SCHOOLDAYS.docx
Sezioni del BlogB1 2016
Docenti AffiniMontesanto Maryann